Traditional Orthodontics – Manchester, CT
The Tried and True Path to Straighter Teeth
If your teeth or bite are misaligned, you may suffer from a number of daily inconveniences. You are also at an increased risk of future dental problems, such as cavities and even tooth loss. Fortunately, orthodontic treatment may be able to help. Here at First Line Dental, we offer traditional metal braces for both children and adults. On this page, you will learn more about how this tried and true teeth straightening method works.
Why Choose First Line Dental for Traditional Orthodontics?
- On-staff orthodontist
- Weekend and evening appointments available
- Friendly, attentive dental team
How Do Traditional Braces Work?
Like other forms of orthodontia, traditional braces work by applying sustained, gentle pressure to the teeth. They do so via brackets, which are bonded directly to the teeth, and an arch wire that connects the brackets. Elastics — small rubber bands — may also be an important component of the treatment for patients with a misaligned bite. As your orthodontist tightens the braces at periodic checkups, the teeth will gradually move into their proper positions.
What Smile Problems Can Traditional Braces Treat?
Traditional braces are capable of correcting most types of orthodontic problems. They are appropriate for mild, moderate, and even severe cases of dental misalignment.
Teeth that overlap one another may trap food between them and interfere with your bite. Braces, along with possible extractions, can move the teeth apart to enhance both the aesthetics and the function of your smile.
Spaces Between Teeth
If you suffer from unsightly gaps between your teeth, braces can move them closer together. Doing so can contribute to healthier gums, a better bite, and enhanced facial aesthetics.
Incorrect Bite Alignment
Overbite, underbite, and crossbite are common types of malocclusion (bite problems). Left untreated, they may increase your risk of TMD and other serious issues. Braces are often able to correct the position of the teeth and jaw in order to reduce or eliminate malocclusion.
Benefits of Traditional Braces
Traditional braces offer a number of outstanding benefits:
- This treatment is suitable for patients of practically any age, and it can address the vast majority of orthodontic problems.
- Since the braces will be bonded to your teeth, you will never have to worry about forgetting to wear them.
- Self-expression. Many young patients love to choose fun colors for their brackets and elastics, while mature professionals tend to gravitate toward more neutral hues. (Of course, there is nothing to say that adults cannot choose bright colors too!)
- You might feel some soreness when you first get your braces and when you get them adjusted. However, most patients find that the entire experience is more comfortable than they first anticipated.
- Cost-effectiveness. Traditional braces tend to come with a lower price tag than clear aligners and other orthodontic treatments that have a heavy focus on aesthetics.
Understanding the Cost of Traditional Braces
As noted above, traditional braces are relatively low-cost. The price of your treatment will depend on the severity of your dental misalignment, the extent of your insurance coverage, and other factors. Our team will provide you with a cost estimate during your consultation. We can also help you explore payment options. For example, we offer braces for as little as $189/month when you enroll in autopay.
Are you ready to embark on your journey toward straighter teeth? Contact First Line Dental today to schedule your orthodontic consultation.